To achieve success you will need to use a variety of approaches, such as those below. Talk these through with your parents/carers, form tutor or teacher.
- Concentrate on what is being said and ignore other noise.
- Ask questions if something is not clear.
- Listen for the meanings and ideas behind words.
- Write down only important ideas and facts.
- Use your own words rather than those of the teacher wherever you can. Break the notes up into sections with headings.
- Number the major points or use mind maps or diagrams to capture the main ideas.
Manage your time
- Be ready for the start of lessons.
- Use your planner – record home learning promptly.
- Set priorities for your work.
- Set yourself deadlines.
- Break large tasks into short, manageable units.
- Prepare and stick to a revision timetable.
- Revise in short bursts; stop when your mind begins to wander.
- Try underlining, highlighting or taping your notes.
- Work through examples of exam questions/tasks.
The college has found the following resources to be particularly helpful:
Co-ordination Group Publications
www.cgpbooks.co.uk or 0870 750 1252
Price £2 from college or £2.50/£3.50 from shops.
Titles in most National Curriculum areas.
Useful online resources
The links below lead out of this website. Each link will open a new window in your browser. To return to this website close the window.
In addition to the general resources listed below, each subject area also includes lists of useful websites for the individual subjects.
- BBC Revision Guide
- GCSE Bitesize Revision
- GCSE.com: revising revision
- Learning – Channel 4.com
- Homework High – Channel 4.com
- Cambridge Dictionaries Online
- StudyZones.com – online tutor
- onlinenewspapers.com – world newspapers